The Department of Physics and Astronomy at UCR announces its call for K-12 public schools to request an astronomy workshop for Spring 2018 (April through June).
Workshops have been implemented for over three years under the supervision of Dr. Mario De Leo-Winkler, an astrophysicist whose expertise lies in public outreach and informal education, and over 10,000 students have enjoyed the wonders of the Universe, through talks, hands-on activities and telescope viewings. The activities are offered free of charge and are given by postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, high-school volunteers and faculty members of UC Riverside. Workshops are designed following the New Generation Science Standards.
UC Riverside covers the cost of materials thanks to National Science Foundation grants awarded to Prof. Gillian Wilson, Prof. George Becker, and by the FIELDS Program lead by Prof. Bahram Mobasher.
Workshops are offered to the Riverside, San Bernardino, Valverde, Perris and adjacent school districts, and are available in English and Spanish.
NEW: The workshops are now part of the NASA/JPL/Caltech Solar System Ambassadors activities offered by public volunteers.
Read about our 12 available astronomy workshops.
Please take special care to review details and requirements.
- Public announcement: February 23rd, 2018
- Deadline for applications: March 9th, 2018
- Announcement of selected schools: March 15th, 2018
Preference will be given to schools that meet these criteria:
- Can hold the same workshop at least 3 times during the same day
- Can hold workshops for at least 100 students during the same day
- Present the most comprehensive schedule for the day:
- Set-up as early as 9:00 AM
- First session as early as 9:30 AM
- Last session ending as late as 1:45 PM
- 30 minute break
- Monday, April 23
- Monday, April 30
- Monday, May 7
- Monday, May 14
- Monday, June 4
REQUEST YOUR WORKSHOP HERE