Focus on the Universe: Astrophotographers of Southern California is a picture exhibition composed of 17 stunning images of the night sky designed by the Dept. of Physics and Astronomy at UC Riverside.
The exhibition is the result of a public call for images from astrophotographers residing in southern California. Over 80 images were received, of which 17 were selected. The exhibition shows a wide variety of cosmic phenomena: galaxies, nebulae, sunspots, meteors, clusters of stars, supernovae remnants, among others. It was originally displayed from May 26 until June 29, 2016 in the Orbach Science Library at UC Riverside, and was appreciated by over 12,000 viewers. The exhibition was made possible by a National Science Foundation grant led by Prof. Gillian Wilson (UC Riverside), by the FIELDS Program led by Prof. Bahram Mobasher (UC Riverside), and curated/designed by Dr. Mario De Leo-Winkler (UC Riverside). Please see all images in the carrousel below.
The exhibition is being offered to public schools and libraries on loan for free. Here is what you need to know:
- Maximum loan time is 2 months; minimum loan time is 1 month
- Images are printed on aluminum
- They are light, easy to clean, transport and hang
- There are 17 images
- 15 images are 12″ x 12″
- 2 images are 12″ x 24″ (one vertical, one horizontal)
- Images have a float mount hanger on the back (see image in carrousel below)
- They hang with a single nail and have several wedges to adjust one hanged
- An acrylic block stand is also available for setting on tables or bookcases
- Every image has a caption printed, explaining the depicted cosmic phenomena
- The information level of the captions is appropriate for late-elementary school students and above
REQUEST A LOAN
If you are interested in having the exhibition displayed in your public school or library,
please fill the request form after considering the following information:
- Start and end date of exhibition
- Exhibition venue
- Person in charge
- Target audience
- Contact email and telephone
- Type of exhibition method: back metal plate (for wall hanging) or acrylic block stand (for table setting). See examples in image carrousel below.
Image carrousel (if you don’t see it, please pause your ad-blocker)
The exhibition features the work of Anne Sullivan, Alex McConahay, Bruce Herwig, Bruce Waddington, Bruce White, Cassiano Carromeu, Dave Holland, Dustin A. Smith, John Fisanotti, John Castillo, John L. Martin, Kevin Morefield, Samuel Pitts and Nancy Hajjar.