The Department of Physics and Astronomy at UCR announces its call for K-12 public schools to request an ASTRO workshop for Fall 2018 (October through December).
Workshops have been implemented for over three years under the supervision of Dr. Mario De Leo-Winkler, an astrophysicist whose expertise lies in public outreach and informal education, and over 10,000 students have enjoyed the wonders of the Universe, through talks, hands-on activities and telescope viewings. The activities are offered free of charge and are given by postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, high-school volunteers and faculty members of UC Riverside. Workshops are designed following the New Generation Science Standards.
UC Riverside can offer these activities thanks to the FIELDS Program lead by Prof. Bahram Mobasher, and material costs can be covered thanks to National Science Foundation grants awarded to Prof. Gillian Wilson and Prof. George Becker.
Workshops are offered to the Riverside, San Bernardino, Valverde, Perris and adjacent school districts, and are available in English and Spanish.
The workshops are now part of the NASA/JPL/Caltech Solar System Ambassadors activities offered by volunteers.
Read about our 12 available astronomy workshops.
Please take special care to review details and requirements.
- Public announcement: August 1st, 2018
- Deadline for applications: August 31st, 2018
- Announcement of selected schools: September 10, 2018
Preference will be given to schools that meet these criteria:
- Can hold the same workshop at least 3 times during the same day
- Can hold workshops for at least 100 students during the same day
- Present the most comprehensive schedule for the day:
- Set-up as early as 9:00 AM
- First session as early as 9:30 AM
- Last session ending as late as 2:30 PM
- 30 minute break during the day
- Monday, October 15
- Monday, October 22
- Monday, October 29
- Monday, November 26
- Monday, December 3
- Monday, December 10
REQUEST YOUR WORKSHOP HERE