COSMIC THURSDAYS, a series of public and free talks on astronomy. The talks are designed with the general audience in mind. They are fun, easy to understand, and engaging.
- Date: Thursday, October 24 – 6:30 PM
- Speaker: Dr. Jeffrey Rich (Observatories of The Carnegie Institution for Science)
- Place: UC Riverside, Winston Chung Hall, Room 205/206
- Talk: How Fast is the Universe Expanding?
Did you know the Universe is expanding? In this talk Dr. Rich will describe how Astronomers discovered that the Universe is expanding and how we continue to measure and understand the expansion of the Universe. Dr. Rich will discuss the early work by several Astronomers that lead to this discovery and how we continue to apply their astrophysical techniques. As we continue to refine our measurements of the expanding Universe and discover new ways to probe its expansion, we have reached an era of precision measurements that disagree. Dr. Rich will also describe how we arrived at this tension and how Astronomers are working to resolve the disagreement between these different measurements.
- Tickets: Free but RSVP is required through EventBrite
- Parking: Limited, free permits available at Parking Kiosk to park in Lot 13
- Information: Dr. Xinnan Du at firstname.lastname@example.org