The Department of Physics and Astronomy at UCR announces its call for K-12 public schools to request an astronomy workshop for Fall 2017 (Oct – Dec).
Workshops have been implemented for three years and over 9,000 students have enjoyed the wonders of the Universe, through talks, interactive activities and telescope viewings. The workshops are offered free of charge and are given by postdoctoral scholars, graduate students and faculty members of UC Riverside. Workshops are designed following California’s New Generation Science Standards.
Workshops are offered to the Riverside, San Bernardino, Valverde, Perris and adjacent school districts, and are available in English and Spanish.
For Fall 2017 we have added 1 workshop:
- GRIDFIRE, an web-based interactive workshop on the spread of Californian wildfires using NASA satellite data.
Read our BROCHURE to know details and requirements of our 12 available astronomy workshops.
- August 18: call sent out
- September 1: deadline to request a workshop
- September 11: selected schools will be contacted
Preference will be given to schools that meet three criteria:
- Can hold the same workshop 3 times on the same day
- Will hold workshops for at least 100 students on the same day
- Present the most comprehensive schedule for the day
AVAILABLE DATES (starting as early as 9:00 AM and ending as late as 2:00 PM)
- Monday, October 9
- Monday, October 23
- Monday, October 30
- Monday, November 6
- Monday, November 13
- Monday, November 27
REQUEST YOUR WORKSHOP HERE